I love our dear Prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I loved his short and sweet message Sunday morning during General Conference. What a powerful testimony of what is important in life. He simply stated we need to know where we are going, and make wise choices to accomplish our goals. I want my children to understand the importance of the prophet’s words, so I created this short and sweet Family Home Evening lesson (target audience for toddlers).
The following is a suggestion on how to organize your Family Home Evening. Feel free to make adjustments as needed to suit your family…
Opening Song: Follow the Prophet (Children’s Songbook pg.110)
- Invite one member of the family to play the role as prophet, and follow them around the room while singing the song
- Remind your family of general conference weekend, and the opportunity we had to listen to our prophet, Thomas S. Monson. Read scriptures D&C 1:38 and Deuteronomy 18:18. Explain that the prophet gives us instructions from our Heavenly Father.
- What did the prophet tell us? “May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.” He told us that we need to have faith to make good choices. He also told us that if we make a wrong choice we can repent and return to the path towards our Saviour and eternal life.
President Monson told this story “Most of you are familiar with Alice in Lewis Carroll’s classic novel Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. You will remember that she comes to a crossroads with two paths before her, each stretching onward but in opposite directions. As she contemplates which way to turn, she is confronted by the Cheshire Cat, of whom Alice asks, “Which path shall I follow?”
The cat answers, “That depends where you want to go. If you do not know where you want to go, it doesn’t matter which path you take.”1
Unlike Alice, we know where we want to go, and it does matter which way we go, for the path we follow in this life leads to our destination in the next life.”
- Ask the children for examples of good choices that will bring us closer to our good goals. Feel free to give suggestions.
Conclude with this last quote from President Monson, “As we contemplate the decisions we make in our lives each day—whether to make this choice or that choice—if we choose Christ, we will have made the correct choice.”
Activity: Choosing the Right Way maze
- Below are two free maze printables that I created. A boy and girl version. Click the download button below and print them for your children (or yourself- no judging here) to color and find their way through the maze to Christ.
Closing Song: Choose the Right Way (Children’s Songbook pg. 160)
Snack: Whatever you choose! 😉
I have joined several other bloggers to create FHE lessons based on the Spring 2016 General Conference. Find their posts here:
Chicken Scratch n Sniff- Opposition Helps Us Grow Family Home Evening
A year of FHE – Reaching out to Non-traditional LDS Families
Family Locket- See Yourself in the Temple – Family History FHE Lesson
Side By Side Learning- The Greatest Leaders are the Greatest Followers
Cranial Hiccups- You Are a Child of God FHE Lessons
Lifes Journey to Perfection- Family Home Evening on Going to The Rescue
Little LDS Ideas- He asks us to be his hands: Service FHE
I was granted permission to use artwork created by Susan Fitch