This Chicken Gnocchi [nok-ee] Soup is to die for!
If you love eating at the Olive Garden this recipe is for you! This soup is spot on, and so delicious. I can’t take any credit for the recipe. This is literally a copy and paste from CopyKat, she gets all the credit. She takes her favourite restaurant dishes and recreates them. Brilliant. After making this last night I knew I had to share it. Even my kids liked it! So here you go, Chicken Gnocchi Soup; a creamy, flavour filled, Italian soup.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth (if you enjoy a thicker soup, use 1 can)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast (you can use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (16-ounce/500g) package ready-to-use gnocchi
- Melt the butter into the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion becomes translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the half-and-half. Simmer until thickened.
- Whisk in the chicken broth. Simmer until thickened again.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, the thyme, parsley, carrots, spinach, chicken, and gnocchi. Simmer until the soup is heated through. Before serving, season with additional salt, if necessary.
To reduce the amount of fat, use milk instead of half and half. It wont be as creamy, and doesn't re-heat as nicely. Add more chicken if desired.
This Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe is easy to throw together and takes very little preparation. Pair it with an Italian salad or garlic toast to make it a complete meal. This soup is heavy enough to fill you up, yet light enough that you won’t feel stuffed. My children loved learning how to say Gnocchi as they gobbled them up, and even asked for more!
Summer is fast upon us, we may not have many soup approved days left! Next time we have a cool day be sure to take advantage of it and cozy up with some of this creamy soup. Your family will love you for it, and won’t regret it.